Beyond

" 'The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, flutering back to earth.' " -The Awakening

10.30.2010

Going Natural Doesn't Mean You Think Yourself an African Goddess


amen to the article
because my mom and i have fought for months about this.
i definitely want to go natural,
or at least have yarn braids.

unfortunately, 
the whole world doesn't think like this writer.
and that was my mom's main issue:
me looking like kunta kente,
and everyone thinking of me as an african soul sista
(without the salon's care, she says)
and even though that's a stereotype i've heard before,
people shouldn't be judged about their hair.

i don't care if i am.
sure, i want to date a white guy.
and it might be harder to find one that way
since i assume they're intimidated by black women as is.
but i don't care.
because it's MY hair
and i should be able to style it anyway i please
without influences from society distracting me.

i honestly think wild manes of hair are stunning
and gorgeous.

4 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly......down to wanting to date a white boy. Is it wrong to not be attracted (mostly, anyway) to black guys? I don't know...they just seem so vulgar lately....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Agreed! And, apparently from observing, guys of different culture like out natural hair and find it pretty and interesting! So HA mom! Lol. And, right? I'm more attracted to white guys and asians!

      .... Looking back on this post, I realize a lot has changed since this post! Haha! =] We should chat sometime!

      Delete
  2. Totally! Wait...did you say guys from different cultures like our natural hair? Well...I only know of like, two guys of a different culture who liked my natural hair..and actually said something about it, but one of them is gay, so...womp womp for me. The other one I actually had a huge crush on, but...........you know how that goes. You kind of never say anything and then just....yeah. Nothing happens. Anyway, he's shorter than me by about a foot. So. Ahem. Lol.

    We need to chat indeed...I'm sort of envisioning a Skype sort of thing, but it would probably never happen because I never go on Skype anyway... =( but at least we have these blogs!!! Until I get my life a little more together, anyway. Oh. But, if in case you don't think me a creeper, my Skype username is cahrynk89 =) You can add me if you like. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, when I got yarn braids, I got more attention from them lol! And I had friends who mentioned that they got more compliments from white guys when they had their fro than when it was just flat-pressed. Haha so it's mostly observation with other friends. And I'm sorry. The crush thing, and not speaking up? Yeah... I don't know how to overcome that. Like... I'm not one to chase, plus I'm shy. So... HOW DOES THIS WORK?! Ugh. Haha. I try to stay logged in! But, yeah... I'm never really ON. I IM at most... Rarely though lol. I did add ya!

    ReplyDelete